At boon IVF we are data driven organization and mainly focus on finding out the reason for infertility for a couple and treat them accordingly. We tend to give personalised treatment options for patients and we will involve them in decision making too.
A couple should meet a fertility expert if they fail to achieve a pregnancy after having unprotected intercourse for a period of 1 year. If a woman is > 35 years then they should meet a fertility expert if they fail to become pregnant after 6 months of having unprotected intercourse.
We evaluate male and female partners separately. A detailed history will be taken for both male and female with following parameters.
Female fertility parameters:
- Marital life
- Age of menarche (first occurrence of menstruation)
- Menstrual history: Whether periods are regular or not etc,
- History of any previous abortions/ tubal pregnancies,
- History of any other medical conditions ( ex thyroid issues/ diabetes/ hypertension/ h/o TB/ any other hormonal issues etc)
- History of any surgeries ( on the uterues for fibroids/ for any cysts in the ovaries/ salpingitis etc)
- Lifestyle habits with a history of smoking or alcohol consumption
Male fertility parameters:
- History of testicular trauma
- History of any infections
- Lifestyle habits with a history of smoking or alcohol consumption or drugs
- History of genetic disorders etc
Female fertility evaluation:
- Tests to know whether the women are ovulating or not.
- Tubal evaluation: tests to check whether fallopian tubes are open or not. We can know tubal patency by an ultrasound or HSG or laparoscopy
- Ultrasound: An initial scan to see for the uterus and ovaries (to check for any fibroids/ cysts etc)
- Ovarian reserve: Fertility experts can understand women’s egg number by a blood test (AMH) or by a scan
- Hormonal tests such as progesterone levels, Estradiol, Luteinizing Hormone etc.
Male fertility evaluation:
- Semen analysis: a semen test in which we can know about sperm count and their motility and to know the quality of sperms.
- General physical examination by urologists
- In some cases, fertility experts might also recommend additional tests like scrotal ultrasound, hormone testing, genetic tests.